Monday, May 05, 2008

Off the desert highway!

My husband and I planned a great trip that I easily could have missed. The destination was my grandma's house in Albuquerque. We organized the trip months in advance. I confirmed that we would drive straight to New Mexico from California through Arizona making no stops along the way. I wanted to spend all of my vacation with my grandma. Prior to departure my husband laid out a map and put a big circle around the Grand Canyon. He loves historical landmarks. I have no interest in them at all. We exchanged a few stern words and again agreed the trip would proceed directly as planned.
Along the way the unpredictable weather had our attention. Off in the distance up in the sky dark clouds covered the horizon. We could see nothing past the blackness up ahead. The sun shining brightly in the sky quickly disappeared as we were ushered right into the middle of a powerful rain storm. Fear mixed with silent apprehension as we slowed down. After a few minutes of blinding rain we exited this darkness to immerge once again into bright sunny skies. Passing through four heavy downpours had my heart beating.
adparams.getadspec('c_billboard1');

I like the desert. My perfect vacation is a drive through the wilderness. I see the beauty in tall mountains surrounded by endless colors of rustic browns. At night in the desert where the sky meets the road the stars appear so close I feel as if I could reach out and grab them with my hands. I want nothing hindering the spectacular vision before me. Tall trees only block my view.
Arriving at a little town in Arizona called Williams we stopped at a gas station to inquire about a room for the night. Inside my husband noticed a brochure advertising the Grand Canyon. He asked the attendant how long the drive would be. She said to follow the road north for 45 minutes. My husband quickly turned to look at me with an inquiring gaze. I shook my head and said I had no interest in seeing the Grand Canyon, but I would leave it up to him to decide.
All of a sudden a curious place of anxiety started stirring within me. I found myself excited at the possibility of finally seeing this natural wonder. I felt amazed that we were actually so close. When my husband looked at me and said, "You have got to see the Grand Canyon," I did not argue.
Highway 64 owned a unique sense. Passing by forests of tall ponderosa pines and junipers offered a vision of beauty. The smell of the sage brush in the air brought a truly sensational feeling of serenity that encompassed my whole being. I found myself completely immersed in what I had tried so hard to avoid.
Favoring mountains and desert is acceptable but I had denied myself the splendor of the woodlands. I made a decision at that moment to allow myself a life full of new and exciting opportunities. I was ready to break out of the mold and seek novel and different locations. Creating memories I could relive forever became an important concept. And to think I hadn't even arrived yet at our destination. The exhilaration of the Grand Canyon somewhere up ahead heightened the closer we got.
I read somewhere that the approach to the Grand Canyon gives no hint of what awaits. That reference is an absolute understatement. Driving up to the canyon I felt a sense of awe like I had never felt before. Looking over into this vast mountain abyss left me speechless. I sat gazing at the enormity of this amazing creature. The depth and the scope of the size were beyond my comprehension.
Driving from one ridge to the next, peering out over each edge, I felt weightless and all fear of heights vanished. Although each range had a similar appearance every view was spectacular. I had never seen anything like the Grand Canyon before and I was convinced I never would. It was definitely one of the most beautiful and magnificent sites I have ever seen. And to think I almost missed it.

No comments: