Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Strong Willed Stubborn Children

There is definitely a difference in some babies temperaments, and they start as early as a year old, maybe even earlier in some cases. I sit and watch her as she falls to the floor, arches her back, screams like she is dying, and I ask myself, "Bipolar?" I know she's okay, because she is. Maybe her teeth hurt, I'm not sure. But what to do with her? I don't remember when my children were small, and my first grand daughter didn't throw such tantrums, so what to do about it? I'm told she is extremely intelligent and it's only her brilliance kicking into overdrive, I think, "Little demon?" Possibly. I guess if she were my own I'd deal with her differently, but she's not mine, she's my step grand daughter. What a title. It is a different relationship than my own blood grand daughter, although as she ages we get closer. I was afraid when she was a baby I'd never bond with her the same, and maybe it will never be exactly the same, but it is good. I know she loves me. And that's important. I need to know she feels safe. I want her to run into the room when she is 3 and yell, "Grandma." Because to her I am grandma. Too children there is no step or blended family. Too children we are all just there caregivers, given to make sure they are fed, changed, and loved. I can do that. But oh, wouldn't it be so much easier if she would quit screaming every time I said no. Oh well. I will love her anyway.

No comments: