Friday, March 14, 2008

College Campus Revelation

Nothing happens by chance; not in God’s world. I enrolled in college after twenty five years. I heard that dental hygienists made an outrageous amount of money so I signed up for classes at my local college and off I went to embark on a new journey. For four years I sold on eBay tucked back in the corner of my den. Now it was time to mingle with the real world. Everything was progressing in the right direction. School proved to be a lot more enjoyable than I remembered. I was getting A’s in all my classes and I found myself looking forward to the education. But something happened when I entered my chemistry class. The subject was too difficult and after the first month I dropped out. I had no idea what I was going to do. Dental Hygiene required chemistry classes. Anatomy, physiology, and microbiology were also on that list so I had to change my plans and quickly. I found a psychology class with a late start date so I added that class to my schedule and turned myself around. I hadn’t any idea as to what I would do with a psychology degree but at least the subject interested me. It’s amazing how God works. I didn’t start out with a great desire to know about people but as soon as I started learning about the human mind my fascination of the subject grew to an astounding level. Forty three years old and I finally found my niche. It was during this time that I began having more pronounced problems with my eldest son. He drank a lot and was constantly getting into trouble. I had fought the battle of alcohol myself and won so I always held out hope for my son’s deliverance but lately he seemed a lot more suicidal and my heart ached constantly for him. I had a psychology class starting in a few days. I received the textbook early so I thought I’d get a head start on the reading. The class was on human learning and the chapter in the textbook began by describing a member of the author’s family who had a broken brain. The more I read the more of my son’s behavior I saw in her loved one. She was describing bipolar disorder. All of a sudden everything fell in place and began making sense. My son had a disease. There was a name for what was wrong with him and that meant there was also a solution. I thank God everyday that chemistry was too difficult. If I had understood it I might not have learned what is wrong with my son.

No comments: